Bluebell Railway web site:
Please be aware that due to the historical nature of this page, some of the links on it may be out of date.
Site Update Archive 1999
The Current What's New page, the 2000 archive, the 2001 archive, the 2002 archive, the 2003 archive and the 2004 archive contain the more recent update information.
Also see the What was new in 1997-8 page.
17 December 1999:
- Update to the following Signalling pages from Peter Richards:
17 November, updated 18 November:
- "Stop Press" on the Stepney Club Page
- Update from Peter Richards with the latest news of the Horsted Keynes Re-signalling.
- Page appealing for funds for the overhaul of No.323 removed, pending a decision on the future of the appeal.
- Gradient Profile to the South of Kingscote modified
in accordance with Les Haines' survey, as detailed in the latest Friends of Kingscote Newsletter.
- Jeremy Ovenden has provided further photos of carriages now on the Bluebell:
- Photos from Jon Bowers taken last Sunday added to the report on the Giants of Steam special event.
- Dates for 19-20 February 2000 Special Winter Steam-up Weekend added to the Special Events Listing.
- We now have our own domain name, www.bluebell-railway.co.uk. The site however remains unchanged, so existing links and bookmarks will continue to work. Due to past unreliability, the use of the alias "www.visitweb.com/bluebell" is to be avoided.
- Updates from Peter Richards to the pages describing the Signalling and Signal Box Diagrams for Kingscote and Sheffield Park.
- The following links have been added:
- Update to the Horsted Keynes Re-signalling page, including a photo of the new bracket signal (inner home) at the South end of the station, which comes into service next week, and advance warning of the re-numbering of Horsted Keynes platforms. That wonderful Bluebell idiosyncrasy, "Platform 0", looses its charm somewhat as it becomes "Platform 1". As a result I guess we will have, in "Platform 5", the highest numbered platform in Preservation.
- The Bluebell Railway and our Golden Arrow Pullman Dining Train are both listed on the new Country-Lovers web site, which is added to our links page.
- The Railway, and all our forthcoming special events are listed by w3fasttrack - The
Great British Railway Directory, which is also added to the links page.
- Lewis Nodes has added photos of Birch Grove's visit to the Isle of Wight to the Loco Photo News pages.
- New photos added of the bodies of the pair of Stroudley Brakes, Nos. 676 and 949, which arrived last year.
- Update to page on LCDR Brake Second No.106, now that further details of its history (it was used on hop-pickers specials between 1921 and 1925) have been discovered. Also updated due to progress with its restoration.
- It has been noticable that for a few days now the visitweb.com alias to this web site has not been functioning.
- Updates to Carriage Fleet Review; Victorian coaches, Bulleid coaches, and Revised Overview.
- A start has been made on going through the web site defining the text colour as black etc, (since, having defined the background colour one ought to define the other text colours as well).
- The alphabetical index pages, which were proving very time consuming to maintain, have been replaced by a rather good, free, third party Search Engine, which maintains its own index of this web site.
- Update to the SE&CR Centenary page, including further details of the SE&CR Centenary Weekend, 7-8 August.
- BASH Page updated with latest restoration progress on the Victorian Metropolitan Railway carriages.
- Locomotive Roster for the next couple of months, giving details of which locos should be working on what days. Please note that the roster for any particular day may be subject to change at short notice due to operational requirements.
- Details added to the Access to the Railway pages for Coastlink 1999 and Surrey Hills Leisure bus services, which provide links from South London and Surrey to the railway.
- Following the decision at Saturday's AGM, now is a very good time to join the BRPS, or upgrade to Life Membership, since subscription rates will rise as from September 1st 1999. Full details are on the Membership page and the Membership Application Form has been updated.
- Update to page on the current signalling work at Horsted Keynes.
- Added to the Accommodation page: Bluebell member Mike Mundy has a web page for his English Tourist Board 2 Crown Highly Commended B&B, THE HOMESTEAD, in nearby Burges Hill.
- Update to Access to the Railway to include details of the new Metrobus Route 40. This provides a Summer leisure service on Sundays & Public Holidays (2nd May - 26th September only). The route links Wakehurst Place, Haywards Heath main-line station, Sheffield Park Station and Danehill. The service runs hourly, and is a very major improvement in public transport to the leisure attractions of the area. Wheelchair accessible buses are normally used.
- 28 March: The Horsted Keynes Signalling Fund's Football Competition: latest positions updated.
- 26 March: Links added for Local Restaurants.
- 25 March: New page with details of the Vintage Bus Day, Sunday 25 April.
Update to page on LSWR Carriage Restoration Project, detailing recent progress.
- 23 March: Photo of LNWR observation car in LMS livery added to web page for this coach.
Bluebell News editorial e-mail address added to Contacts page.
- 12 March: Latest news of Fenchurch and other Loco Department developments on the Loco Photo News pages.
- 14 March: New page added for Information for disabled visitors.
- 12 March: Update to Current Horsted Keynes Track Layout diagram, taking account of trackwork alterations carried out in the last three weeks.
- 10 March: New link added: The Johnston font is available from the LT Museum Shop.
- 9 March: Latest news of the Dukedog and 80151's overhauls on the Loco Photo News pages.
- 8 March: Picture of Metropolitan Coach No.387 taken by Chris Majer in the early 1960s added.
- 7 March: Update to page detailing the current work underway on the Re-signalling of Horsted Keynes.
- 6 March: Latest news of Blackmore Vale's overhaul on Lewis Nodes' Photo News pages, which have been integrated with the rest of the web site.
- 4 March: New page with details of the Children's Fun Weekend, 20-21 March.
BASH page updated with details of our Transport Trust "Peter Allen" Award for the restoration of 101-year-old Metropolitan Railway Brake coach No.387.
- 1 March: Link added to West Sussex Records Office who have a significant archive of railway material relating to the LBSCR.
Link added to Christopher and Diana Awdry's page for young volunteers, which features our 9F Club.
Link added for details of David Woods' Preserved Steam Locomotive Database programme.
- 28 February: The Horsted Keynes Signalling Fund's Football Competition: latest positions updated.
- 26 February: New technical and link pages about carriage restoration.
Web page with photo of NLR Tank loco expanded.
New links to Virtual Brighton and Hove and the South East England Tourist Board web sites. Also to Barrow Hill Engine Shed Society to whom our NLR tank locomotive is on loan.
- 24 February: More comprehensive details of our Travel Fares and Station Tickets now available.
- 22 February: The Villa Team's Photo Index Page is the place to find the latest photographs of what's been happening on the Bluebell. New photos section also added to the main index.
- 18 February: Update to the page on operational locomotives, including more information about each loco.
- 17 February: Updates to links on Accommodation in the Area, Nearby Attractions and Local Information.
New links for overnight accommodation near Horsted Keynes, Smooth Hound and Wealden District Council.
- 16 February: Photos from Lewis Nodes added to the report on the Special Winter Steam-Up Weekend.
- 15 February: Report on the Special Winter Steam-Up Weekend, 13-14 February.
Update to page with news of the current Horsted Keynes Re-signalling.
- 10 February: New links to East and West Sussex Travel information added to the "How to get to the Railway" page.
New link to Places of interest in the Mid Sussex area added to the Links page.
- 2 February: Details of Children's Tea Parties added, and Catering page updated.
New page for the Bluebell's Party Catering Service.
Updates to Introduction to the Carriage Fleet, Carriage Fleet Review 1 (Victorian Coaches), Carriage Fleet Review 3 (SR Maunsell Coaches) and Updated Carriage Fleet Overview pages.
Minor updates to Volunteering and Contacts pages.
- 1 February: New pages for the Victorian Evening, Weds 16 June and 'The Yetties' Evening Concert, Sat 19 June.
New photos of SE&CR P-Class No.323 in SE&CR livery are on the News Page.
Update to Locomotive Stock List, Carriage Stock List, Carriage & Wagon, and "Operational Locos" pages.
- 31 January: The Horsted Keynes Signalling Fund's Football Competition: latest positions updated.
- 27 January: More extensive update to the BASH Page with full details and more photos of Monday's test run.
- 26 January: Update to the BASH Page about the restoration of the four Victorian Metropolitan Railway coaches, including photos of the test run yesterday.
- 21 January: Updated details of LNER "Blue Spot" Fish Van in the Carriage Stock List.
- 20 January: Update to page for the LSWR Coach Restoration Project.
New section in the Index for Affiliated Groups and Societies.
- 15 January: New web pages for LSWR Ventilated Luggage Van No.5498, and Southern Railway 'Van C's 404 and 419.
- 11 January: Lewis Nodes has updated the Loco Roster, with details of what locos are planned to be working on what days, up to Easter.
Tony Hillman has provided details of the Toy and Rail Collectors' Fair, July 17th - 18th 1999.
- 8 January: New pages from Peter Richards with full descriptions of The Bluebell's Signals and the latest news of the Horsted Keynes Re-signalling.
- 6 January: Updates to Operational Locomotives and No.323 pages, to take account of the latter's repaint into SE&CR livery.
More photos added to enliven the section of the timetable which deals with extra attractions.
Locos section of the Index now includes references to Lewis Nodes' extensive web pages for 72 "Fenchurch", 473 "Birch Grove", 4 "Sharpthorn" and the 45-ton Steam Crane.
- 5 January: Updates to Locomotives, Loco Stock List, and SECR Van 153 pages. Correction made to the colour-coded timetable graphic (half-term week in February).
- 4 January: New page with details of the Special Winter Steam-Up Weekend, 13-14 February.
New graphics across the site for 1999 featuring "Birch Grove".
Update to Carriage Fleet Review article on British Rail Mk.1 stock and the Overview.
The Horsted Keynes Signalling Fund's Football Competition: latest positions updated.
New link to The Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey Project with details of all preserved carriages.
Return to Bluebell Home Page,
to the Timetable or to Special Events
The Current What's New page -
What Was New in 1997-8
Visitor Info. - Catering - Contacts - What's New - Extension - Locos - Carriages & Wagons - Signals - History - Other - Links - Search the site - FAQ
Why not become a BRPS Member? - Get more involved as a Volunteer
Your ideal Film/TV location?
Page maintained by Richard Salmon.
© Copyright, disclaimer and credits.